01 March 2013

windows are for decorating (or, friday nights are for parties)





when someone asks if you'd like to decorate their storefront window, your answer should invariably be yes. especially if that someone is vanessa and the shop is wanderlust. you say yes because storefront windows are for decorating and delightful women like vanessa do not grow on trees. (vanessa, of wanderlust trailer fame and now owner extraordinaire of wanderlust, the brick and mortar shop). 

when she first asked me, I may have squealed. I don't know, I can't remember. I'd never done a storefront window before but that didn't matter. I figured I'd create an installation around color. I'd decorate for a party. as it turns out, that party is called 'if I can't get to palm springs then I will bring palm springs to portland.' take that, cold grey forever.

so, portland peeps, said window installation will be up all month long at wanderlust and a selection of limited edition palm springs polaroid prints will be up for grabs. little opening party tonight from 5-9, should you feel the immediate need to soak up a little vintage palm springs color. and if you do stop by, fyi: vanessa will be the cute one behind the counter and I will be the girl trying not to buy all the cute stuff in her store. 

25 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely fantastic! I can't believe this is the first time anyone has thought to tap you for this type of honor. I bet it won't be the last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey thanks! I had soooo much fun doing it! who knew?

      Delete
  2. This is SO fabulous Andrea! I so wish I could come to the opening tonight but I'll be sending you squeals of excitement (from up here in Vancouver) over all that gorgeous colour and beauty you created!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the squeals of excitement, vivienne! I could swear I heard them! (and they made me smile) :) xoxox

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! What a fun project to work on... wonderfully you.
    I spy mamaowl and that's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, friend! anytime I deal with color, I can't help but think of you. you, my fellow color lover. :) and mama owl! yes, she graced the window. can we go back to palm springs yet? xo

      Delete
  4. So fun! I always wanted to be a window designer. Fun, fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so much fun! more fun than I ever thought it'd be!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. thank you, sweet friend. you know who amazes me? you. xo

      Delete
  6. I need to bring a little Palm Springs
    into my living room! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! so fun! just makes me wish i lived in portland!

    http://thebirdandthebicycle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and portland is pretty great. even though I'd leave it right now for a sunnier place (if I could). :)

      Delete
  8. Ah! I love the decoration you made! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! lots of cutting and stringing of paper triangles... but totally worth it. :)

      Delete
  9. Looks so lovely. I must make it over there and photograph it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! please do stop by! vanessa has such a lovely shop filled with so many lovely things!

      Delete
  10. andrea, I must tell you: I went to a film store yesterday called aperture tremont in cleveland, my home base, to interview the owner for an article I'm writing. anyways, I asked him if he had ever heard of you because when I think of the impossible project and serious film photography, I think of you. he said yes, and then proceeded to ask me if I WAS YOU. indeed, I am not, but my 2013 is now made. I just wanted to let you know that a girl from ohio loves your art and thinks it is so worthwhile. thank you for your words and your search for beauty. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, kelley! I am incredibly honored! thank you so much! for your kind words and for sharing them here with me!

      Delete
  11. Vanessa had the perfect idea asking you to do the front windows - it's a super cute happy vintage party! Wish I could go!

    xo
    cortnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a fantastic job. You definitely captured the vintage feel of the store. What a great experience. :D

    Always,
    Mostly Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, wonderful window. And, of course, excellent typography again.

    ReplyDelete