15 November 2005

self portrait tuesday #13


I look at this photograph and and can't help but remember how idealistic, how optimistic and free-spirited I was at age twenty-four. I was a newlywed, therefore I walked around in a perpetual state of bliss. I was also knee-deep in the joyous trenches of dance-- teaching, working with kids in the inner city, performing and finishing up a degree in dance education. I was so on fire to change the world.

so, I'm a little different now. ten years will do that to a girl. I'm a little less optimistic, a little less free-spirited, a lot less idealistic. a little broken maybe. but so much stronger and smarter. and seasoned in ways I never thought possible. I know who I am. the barefoot girl whipping her skirt around in the photo still buzzes around inside my head. she is occasionally called upon to breathe new life into the beat down part of me that hangs on by a thread. and she represents a sacred facet of my identity I hope to hold onto for the rest of my days. though I keep this photo around as a reminder. just in case I forget.

(take a little looky at what others doing for the self portrait tuesday identity challenge.)

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous...
    And even though I only know you from the words you share on your blog - I think you're still that same girl! Ever inspiring and hopeful - a true weaver of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe looky at you :) I love that free spirit, I totally understand how years change you.... both for good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love this photo of you. Capturing moments like these have become one of my favorite pastimes, if not THE favorite. I do remember very vividly this brilliant and vibrant girl, and I have no doubt she's still there, 10 years later. And I also have no doubt that that same optimistic, idealistic dancergirl will still be alive and strong 10, 20, 30 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely sentiments... you always hit it right on the head.... it's amazing how we shift as we get older and yet stay exactly the same too.... sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this photo, the idea behind it and they idea that you keep a bit of your younger self as you age. Beautifully put.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great photo Andrea! and I remember coming on the scene right about that time and meeting that girl! i still see many flashes of her, although sometimes she manifests herself in new and different ways. but yes, the years do change us...

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a great shot! and your words so exactly express how many of us feel. missing our old selves before children, but at the same time thankful for being wiser, smarter and more seasoned. i still get the vibe that you are still full of optimism and vibrancy just in a more realistic way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an articulate masterpiece! I think we all can relate. I think Time does that to us all. Once again...an AMAZING photo! It captures so much emotion and spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. isn't that always how it goes. Beautiful and articulate

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were lovely then--but you are more so now... we all mourn the loss of our idealistic young selves. But wisdom settles in it's place, and a new lasting kind of love :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep dancing Andrea, it'll keep you stress free and vibrant. Love the thoughts, I've been thinking alot about that stuff lately too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, thank you so much everyone. you cannot imagine how inspiring your comments have been to me.

    ReplyDelete